On this page you can find information about my publications in various forms. I’ll try to keep this as up-to-date as possible and provide links to the most recent version of published or pre-published files. If you’re interested in any of the publications, please see my Academia.edu or Researchgate.net page for copies.
Opinion/Editorials in Popular Press
BenDor, Todd K. 2017. Tampering with scientific advisory boards destroys public trust. Op-ed in the Raleigh News and Observer.” May 17, 2017: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article151130352.html
BenDor, Todd K. 2015. Saltwater intrusion a threat. Op-ed in the Greenville Reflector. June 15, 2015: http://www.reflector.com/opinion/other-voices/bendor-saltwater-intrusion-threat-2905969
BenDor, Todd K. and Kristen Vitro. 2014. Comments on “Policy Regarding Voluntary Prelisting Conservation Actions (Rulemaking)” by USFWS. [Action: FWS-R9-ES-2011-0099-0111] Comment ID: 1jy-8fck-g2cr.
Hesselgrave, Taylor, Cathy Kellon, Todd BenDor, and Noah Enelow. Proposal for 2017 North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Revision [NAICS designation for firms engaging in the ecological restoration industry]. In Response to 29 Fed Reg 99, 5/22/14. Docket number 17-0070.
BenDor, Todd K. and Sierra Woodruff*. 2014. Comments on the Environmental Defense Fund and American Habitat Center Habitat Credit Exchange (HCEX) (FWS-R2-ES-2013-0134) by USFWS, “Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for a Habitat Conservation Plan for Commercial Developments, Including Energy Developments, and Agricultural anc Conservation Activities Within Six States” (79 FR 7472).
BenDor, Todd K., T. William Lester, Avery Livengood*, Adam Davis, and Logan Yonavjak*. 2014. Exploring and Understanding the Restoration Economy. Final report to Walton Family Fund. Also UNC Center for Urban and Regional Studies white paper [Online]: https://curs.unc.edu/files/2014/01/RestorationEconomy.pdf
BenDor, Todd K. and Sierra Woodruff*. 2014. Comments on the temporary/permanent nature of LPC habitat impacts. Formal comments submitted to federal rulemaking (FWS–R2–ES–2012–0071; 4500030113) by USFWS, “Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Listing the Lesser Prairie-Chicken as a Threatened Species With a Special Rule” (50 CFR Part 17).
BenDor, Todd K. and Sierra Woodruff*. 2014. Comments on the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies’ Lesser Prairie-Chicken Range-Wide Conservation Plan. Formal comments submitted to federal rulemaking (FWS–R2–ES–2012–0071; 4500030113) by USFWS, “Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Listing the Lesser Prairie-Chicken as a Threatened Species With a Special Rule” (50 CFR Part 17). Also published as UNC Institute for the Environment Whitepaper.
BenDor, Todd K. and Sierra Woodruff*. 2014. Moving targets and biodiversity offsets for endangered species habitat: Is habitat a stock or flow? UNC Institute for the Environment Whitepaper.
BenDor, Todd K. and Sierra Woodruff*. 2014. Preliminary Analysis of the Habitat Credit Exchange (HCEX). UNC Institute for the Environment Whitepaper.
Berkey,* Kathleen Oppenheimer and Todd K. BenDor. 2013. A Comprehensive Solution to the Biofouling Problem for the Endangered Florida Manatee & Other Species. Planning and Law (Summer 2013): 7. Planning and Law Division of the American Planning Association. | LINK
BenDor, Todd K. and Robert Goodspeed. 2013. Keeping Up with the Field: Computerized Tools for Tracking Research and New Ideas. Planetizen (Tuesday, Feb 5, 2013). | LINK
Leitelt, Lyle and Todd K. BenDor. 2010. Developing a Solar Energy Potential Map. American Planning Association, Planning Advisory Service Memo (November/December 2010). | LINK
BenDor, Todd K., Joel Sholtes, and Martin Doyle. 2010. Landscape Characteristics of a Stream and Wetland Mitigation Banking Program (abstract). National Wetlands Newsletter 32(4): 16
BenDor, Todd K. and Martin Doyle. The Authors Respond. National Wetlands Newsletter 32(4): 21
BenDor, Todd and Chandler Van Schaack. 2010. Greener building for a growing rural NC,” Op-Ed in Asheville Citizen-Times (Asheville, NC: April 20, 2010). [Also Online]: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100419033
BenDor, Todd, J. Adam Riggsbee, and George Howard. 2010. A Survey of Mitigation Banker Perceptions and Experiences Under the 2008 Federal Mitigation Regulations. National Wetlands Newsletter (32(2): 11-15.
Doyle, Martin and Todd BenDor. “Stream Restoration: Who Really Benefits?” Op-Ed in Raleigh News and Observer (Raleigh, NC: December 16, 2009) [Also Online]: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/columnists_blogs/other_views/story/242385.html. [Note: Also supported by News and Observer Editorial: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/editorials/story/246211.html
BenDor, Todd, Adam Riggsbee, and George Howard. “Mitigation Bankers Say New Rule Heightens Old Conflicts: Survey”. Op-Ed in Ecosytem Marketplace (Washington, DC: November 20, 2009) [Online]: http://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/pages/dynamic/article.page.php?page_id=7150§ion=home
BenDor, Todd and Hannah Berg. “A New Form of Water-Quality Protection,” Op-Ed in Raleigh News and Observer (Raleigh, NC: November 1, 2009) [Also Online]: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/columnists_blogs/other_views/story/166402.html
BenDor, Todd. “BRAC Demands Require Creativity,” Op-Ed in Fayetteville Observer (Fayetteville, NC: July 9, 2009). [Also Online]: http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/07/08/915698.
BenDor, Todd and Martin Doyle. “Build the Environment, Too,” Op-Ed in Raleigh News and Observer (Raleigh, NC: March 5, 2009). [Also Online]: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/columns/story/1428828.html. [Note: original title was “Stimulus in a Watery State”]
Peer Reviewed Articles in Academic Journals
46. Kristen A. Vitro*, Todd K. BenDor, and J. Adam Riggsbee. 2017. Trends in U.S. pre-listing conservation planning for endangered species. Environmental Science and Policy 74: 68-74 | LINK
45. Galik, Christopher, Todd K. BenDor, Julie DeMeester and David Wolfe. 2017. Improving Habitat Exchange Planning Through Theory, Application, and Lessons from Other Fields. Environmental Science and Policy 73: 45-51 | LINK
44. Vitro, Kristen A.*, Miranda E. Welsh*, Todd K. BenDor, Aaron Moody. 2017. Ecological theory explains why diverse island economies are more stable. Complex Systems (In Press) | LINK
43.Vitro, Kristen A.*, Todd K. BenDor, Tania V. Jordanova*, Brian Miles*. 2017. A geospatial analysis of land use and stormwater management on fecal coliform contamination in North Carolina streams. Science of the Total Environment 74: 68-74 | LINK
42. BenDor, Todd K., Danielle Spurlock, Sierra Woodruff*, and Lydia Olander. 2017. A research agenda for ecosystem services in American environmental and land use planning. Cities 60 (Part A): 260-271 | LINK
41. Woodruff, Sierra* and Todd K. BenDor. 2016. Ecosystem services in urban planning: Comparative paradigms and guidelines for high quality plans. Landscape and Urban Planning 152: 90–100 | LINK
- Editor’s Choice, Landscape and Urban Planning, Volume 152
40. Widis, Daniel C. *, Todd BenDor, and Michael Deegan. 2015. Prioritizing Wetland Restoration Sites: A Review and Application to a Large-Scale Coastal Restoration Program. Ecological Restoration 33(4): 358-377 | LINK
39. Woodruff, Sierra* and Todd K. BenDor. 2015. Is Information Enough? The Effects of Watershed Approaches and Planning on Targeting Ecosystem Restoration Sites. Ecological Restoration 33(4): 378-387 | LINK
38. BenDor, Todd K., T. William Lester, Avery Livengood*, Adam Davis, Logan Yonavjak. Estimating the Size and Impact of the Ecological Restoration Economy. PLoS ONE 10(6): e0128339 | LINK (Free – Open Access)
37. BenDor, Todd K., Avery Livengood*, T. William Lester, Adam Davis, and Logan Yonavjak. 2015. Defining and Evaluating the Ecological Restoration Economy. Restoration Ecology 23(3):209-219 | LINK
36. Berry, Marisa* and Todd BenDor. 2015. Integrating Sea Level Rise into Development Suitability Analysis. Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems 51: 13–24 | LINK
35. BenDor, Todd K., Douglas A. Shoemaker*, Jean Claude Thill, Monica Dorning*, Ross K. Meentemeyer. 2014. A Mixed-Methods Analysis of Socio-ecological feedbacks between urbanization and forest persistence. Ecology and Society 19(3):3 | LINK (Free – Open Access)
34. Robertson, Morgan, Todd BenDor, Rebecca Lave, Adam Riggsbee, J.B. Ruhl, and Martin Doyle. Stacking ecosystem services. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 12: 186–193 | LINK
33. BenDor, Todd K. and Sierra Woodruff*. 2014. Moving targets and biodiversity offsets for Endangered Species Habitat: Is Lesser Prairie Chicken Habitat a Stock or a Flow? Sustainability 6(3), 1250-1259 | LINK (Free – Open Access)
32. BenDor, Todd K., Tianshu Guo*, and Andrew Yates. Optimal Staging of Credit Releases in Ecosystem Service Markets. Environmental Management 53:496–509 | LINK
31. Rissman, Jeffrey*, Sarav Arunachalam, Todd BenDor, Jason West. 2013. Equity and Health Impacts of Aircraft Emissions at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Landscape and Urban Planning 120: 234-247 | LINK
30. Rissman, Jeffrey*, Sarav Arunachalam, Matt Woody, Jason West, Todd BenDor, H. Wong, and F. Binkowski. 2013. An Enhanced Sub-grid Scale Approach to Characterize Air Quality Impacts of Aircraft Emissions at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13: 9285–9302 | LINK (Free – Open Access)
29. Nikhil Kaza and Todd K. BenDor. 2013. Land Value Impacts of Wetland Restoration. Journal of Environmental Management 127:289-299 | LINK
28. BenDor, Todd K. James Westervelt, and Yan Song. 2013. Modeling park development through regional land use change simulation. Land Use Policy 30(1):1-12 | LINK.
27. BenDor, Todd K. 2012. The System Dynamics of Automobile American Fuel Economy. Sustainability 4(5):1013-1042 | LINK (Free – Open Access)
26. BenDor, Todd K. and Nikhil Kaza. 2012. A Theory of Spatially Dynamic Reference Modes and System Archetypes. System Dynamics Review 28(2):109-130 | LINK
25. Oppenheimer, Kathleen and Todd BenDor. 2012. A Comprehensive Solution to the Marine Biofouling Problem for the Endangered Florida Manatee and other Species. Environmental Law 42(2):415-467 | LINK (Free – Open Access).
24. Doyle, Martin and Todd K. BenDor. 2011. Evolving Law and Policy for Freshwater Ecosystem Service Markets. William & Mary Environmental Law & Policy Review 36(1):153-191 | LINK (Free – Open Access).
23. BenDor, Todd K., Adam Riggsbee, and Martin Doyle. 2011. Risk and Markets for Ecosystem Services. Environmental Science and Technology 45(24):10322-10330 | LINK
22. BenDor, Todd K., Philip Berke, Dave Salvesen, Yan Song, and Nora Lenahan. 2011. Assessing Local Government Capacity to Manage and Model Military-Induced Growth in Eastern North Carolina. Planning Practice and Research 26(5):531-553 | LINK
21. Van Schaack, Chandler and Todd K. BenDor. 2011. A Comparative Study of Green Building in Urban and Rural North Carolina. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 54(8):1125-1147 | LINK
20. BenDor, Todd K. and Adam Riggsbee. Regulatory and Ecological Risk under Federal Requirements for Compensatory Wetland and Stream Mitigation. Environmental Science and Policy 14:639-649 | LINK
19. BenDor, Todd K., Sara Metcalf, Mark Paich. 2011. The Dynamics of Brownfield Redevelopment. Sustainability 3(6):914-936 | LINK (Free – Open access)
18. BenDor, Todd K. and Adam Riggsbee. 2011. A survey of entrepreneurial risk in U.S. wetland and stream compensatory mitigation markets. Environmental Science and Policy 14(3):301-314 | LINK.
Selected as Editor’s Choice in Science: “Banking on Wetlands” (29 April, 2011; Science 332: 514)
17. BenDor, Todd K. and Audrey May Stewart. 2011. Land Use Planning and Social Equity in North Carolina’s Compensatory Wetland and Stream Mitigation Programs. Environmental Management 47(2):239-253 | LINK
16. Westervelt, James, Todd K. BenDor, and Joseph O. Sexton. 2011. A Technique for Rapidly Assessing Regional Scale Urban Growth. Environment and Planning: B 38(1):61-81 | LINK.
15. Metcalf, Sara S., Emily Wheeler, Todd K. BenDor, Ken Lubinski, and Bruce M. Hannon. 2010. Sharing the Floodplain: Finding Common Ground through Mediated Modeling. Environmental Modelling and Software 25(11):1282-1290 | LINK.
14. Berg, Hannah and Todd K. BenDor. 2010. A Case Study of Form-Based Solutions for Watershed Protection. Environmental Management 46(3):436-51 | LINK.
13. BenDor, Todd K. and Martin Doyle. 2010. Planning for Ecosystem Service Markets. Journal of the American Planning Association 76(1):59-72 | LINK.
12. Hamstead, Zoe and Todd K. BenDor. 2010. Nutrient Trading for Enhanced Water Quality: A Case Study of North Carolina’s Neuse River Compliance Association. Environment and Planning: C 28(1):1-17 | LINK
11. BenDor, Todd K., Joel Sholtes, Martin Doyle. 2009. Landscape Characteristics of a Stream and Wetland Mitigation Banking Program. Ecological Applications 19(8): 2078-2092 | LINK
10. BenDor, Todd K. Jim Westervelt, J.P. Aurambout, and William Meyer. 2009. Simulating Population Variation and Movement within Fragmented Landscapes: A Spatial Dynamic Model of the Gopher Tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus). Ecological Modelling 220:867-878 | LINK
9. Scheffran, Jurgen, Todd K. BenDor, and Bruce M. Hannon. 2009. Bioenergy and Land Use: A Spatial-Agent Dynamic Model of Energy Crop Production in Illinois. International Journal of Environment and Pollution 39(1/2):4-27 | LINK
8. BenDor, Todd K., Jurgen Scheffran, and Bruce M. Hannon. 2009. Ecological and Economic Sustainability in Fishery Management: A Multi-Agent Model for Understanding Competition and Cooperation. Ecological Economics 68(4):1061-1073 | LINK
7. BenDor, Todd K. 2009. A Dynamic Analysis of the Wetland Mitigation Process and Its Effects on No Net Loss Policy. Landscape and Urban Planning 89:17-27 | LINK
6. BenDor, Todd K., Nicholas Brozovic, and Varkki George Pallathucheril. 2008. The Social Impacts of Wetland Mitigation Policies in the United States. Journal of Planning Literature 22:341-357 | LINK
5. BenDor, Todd K. and Nicholas Brozovic. 2007. Determinants of Spatial and Temporal Patterns in Compensatory Wetland Mitigation. Environmental Management 40(3):349-364 | LINK
- For a truncated version, see: BenDor, Todd and Nicholas Brozovic. 2007. The Role of Regulatory Change on Wetlands Mitigation. The National Wetlands Newsletter 29(4):10-13, 21 | LINK
4. BenDor, Todd K., Nicholas Brozovic, and Varkki George Pallathucheril. 2007. Assessing the Socioeconomic Impacts of Wetland Mitigation in the Chicago Region. Journal of the American Planning Association 73(3):263-282 | LINK
3. BenDor, Todd K., Sara S. Metcalf, Lauren E. Fontenot, and Brandi Sangunett. 2006. Modeling the Emerald Ash Borer Spread: A Decision Support System for Invasive Species Eradication. Ecological Modelling 197:221-236 | LINK
2. BenDor, Todd K. and Sara S. Metcalf. 2006. The Spatial Dynamics of Invasive Species Spread. System Dynamics Review 22(1):27-50 | LINK
1. BenDor, Todd K. and Andrew Ford. 2006. Simulating a Combination of Feebates and Scrappage Incentives to Reduce Automobile Emissions. Energy 31:1197-1214 | LINK
Daniel A. Auerbach* and Todd K. BenDor. Prospects for Pre-Listing Conservation in Freshwater Ecosystems. 2014. In: Markets and the Endangered Species Act: Incentivizing Conservation Upstream of Regulation, edited by Josh Donlan and Todd Gardner. University of California Press: Berkeley, CA. Chapter 7.
Westervelt, James and Todd K. BenDor. 2012. A Technique for Rapidly Forecasting Regional Urban Growth. In: Ecologist-Developed Spatially-Explicit Dynamic Landscape Models, edited by James Westervelt and Gordon Cohen. Springer-Verlag: New York.
BenDor, Todd K, James Westervelt, J.P. Aurambout, and William Meyer. 2012. Simulating Gopher Tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus) Populations in Fragmented Landscapes: an Application of the FRAGGLE model. In: Ecologist- Developed Spatially-Explicit Dynamic Landscape Models, edited by James Westervelt and Gordon Cohen. Springer- Verlag: New York.
Doyle, Martin and Todd K. BenDor. 2012. Markets for freshwater ecosystem services. In: Aquanomics: Water Markets and the Environment. Edited by D. Gardener and R. Simmons. Independent Institute Press: San Francisco, CA. | LINK
BenDor, Todd K. Flood Control. In: The Encyclopedia of Issues in U.S. Public Policy, edited by Mark Rushefsky. Gale Public Policy: Farmington Hills, MI. (Forthcoming? Book halted due to economic collapse?). | PDF
Jamison, Wesley, Todd. K. BenDor, Adrianne. L. Kolpak, and Maureen A. McDonnell. 2004. Political and Social Risk Amplification of GMOs. In: Handbook of Plant Biotechnology, edited by Paul Christou. London: John Wiley & Sons. | LINK | PDF
BenDor, Todd K. and Adam Riggsbee. A National Survey of Federal Mitigation Regulations and their Impacts on Wetland and Stream Banking. Report to the National Mitigation Banking Association (NMBA) (Orlando, FL).
Berke, Phillip, Todd BenDor, Dave Salvesen, Yan Song and Nora Lenahan. 2009. “Building Local Government Capacity to Manage Growth in Eastern North Carolina.” A Report to support the Southeast Regional Partnership for Planning and Sustainability (SERPPAS). Center for Sustainable Community Design, Institute for the Environment. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Chapel Hill, NC.
BenDor, Todd K., Jeff M. Bielicki, Brian S. Powell, and Derrick T. Robinson. 2004. Modeling Feedback Mechanisms Between Land Use and Climate Change. Proceedings of the 2004 Santa Fe Institute Complex Systems Summer School, Santa Fe, NM (June 6–July 3, 2004). Paper and plenary session presentation.